Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Lamp



But you have to shine,” the other poles told her.

“I don't want to,” she said in a defiant pout.

But it's who you are! It's your purpose in life to be a guiding light!”

Don't assume you know what my purpose is,” the darkened lamp pole said. “My mother told me never to give in to peer pressure.”

This isn't peer pressure,” said a pole to her left. “It's common sense! Why else would you have a light bulb?”

“Because glass looks good on me.” She thought to turn to leave, but decided she had more to say. “And another thing. Why should having a bulb mean I'm meant to be a lamp? You're tall. Why aren't you a basketball player?”

Because I'm a lamp!”

But she would have none of it. She wouldn't listen to the naysayers who would pigeonhole her and force her to be something she wasn't.


- Originally mailed to M. Navoy of Picayune, Mississippi

No comments:

Post a Comment