Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Monday, April 8, 2013

Leia's Only Hope



It never failed. Every time they went on a trip together, Obi-Wan Kenobi would always tell Leia, “Remember to study the itinerary. It has all the important information. Hotel name, room number, where we're going and when. If you get lost, it will help you.”

“I'm not going to forget where we're staying, Ben,” she would say. “Besides, if I do, R2 has the plans. I'll just ask him.”

He thought to argue with her, but knew how she could be when someone told her no. She was a princess after all.

Naturally, after checking in and after Ben had left to find a good bar, Leia promptly forgot where they were staying. She couldn't even call Ben because she'd never learned his number, trusting her cell phone to remember for her. She tried asking R2 for help, but he didn't care for her much. She didn't give him oil baths or call him “Little Friend” the way Ben did, and she never made any attempt to learn his language, making their conversations one-sided at best, and usually just a series of commands from her to him with little regard to his feelings. So he didn't tell her. He just cursed in beeps and whistles knowing she wouldn't understand him anyway. Not knowing how else to find the way back to the hotel, she had R2-D2 do what he always did. Find Ben and deliver a message.

When the little droid found him, he was sitting in a seedy bar nursing some Corellian booze. That's when R2 played the eight words the retired jedi had come to dread every time he took a vacation.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.”


- Originally mailed to R. Morris of Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment