Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Friday, May 17, 2013

That Gets My Goat



Aiden Mulronny had a special way of dealing with those who grated on his last nerve. Some people, when they become frustrated with a person or situation, would declare, “That really gets my goat.”

Aiden decided to take that literally. He scoured the countryside seeking out the most obstinate, ornery goat he could find, and when a person peeved him, they got his goat. He would discreetly sneak onto their property at night and leave the creature where they would find it, no doubt making a mess of their trash and bleating all night.

“Hey, I got your goat,” they would say.


“So you did,” he would reply, knowingly.

“Well, it goat got into my (yard/garden/kitchen). How can I get it back to you?”

And he would always find some excuse to put off getting the goat back for a week. He was busy, so he couldn't come get it. No, he wouldn't be home then for you to drop it off. Nope. Not home then either. Tell you what, he probably has time Thursday. He could take the goat back then.


When you got his goat, you got it for a week.


- Originally mailed to J. Harmon in Fort Hachuca, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment