Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Closets




Miranda Tully didn't believe in closets. Oh, she knew they existed, but disagreed with them on principle. Too many connotations of secrets and shames long hidden. Skeletons in the closet, closet alcoholics. She wouldn't abide a closet's use in her home. Instead, she would pile and stack things in front of them, which she realized hid the place where shame hid. The closet became her secret, for to even have them suggested she encouraged such deceptions.

“Oh,” her friends would say. “I never realized there was a door back there.”

And Miranda would blush for shame.

- Originally mailed to L. Sims of Hattiesburg, MS

No comments:

Post a Comment