Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Friday, December 21, 2012

Swamp People



I followed her down the muddy path that traced its winding path from the back country road to the swamp. It twisted like a snake through the woods so much I had no way of knowing which way I faced or which way led back to my car. I did not care, though. When I saw her standing by the road, her slip the color of bone in the shadows, I had to follow her. Not to help her, mind you, though she did look every inch the damsel in distress the little girl lost in the woods. No, not to help her, but to help me. If I just went with her, my every wish would be granted. She never said this aloud. Something in those mournful eyes told me everything I ever wanted, desires I never knew I had that now stirred deep within, all could be mine if I just went with her, down into the swamps. So I did.

Now I stand barefoot beside back country roads, wearing jeans and a shirt the color of bone, and with my deep mournful eyes, I promise travelers everything their heart desires if they but follow me along winding paths down into the swamps.

- Originally mailed to C. George in San Diego, California

No comments:

Post a Comment