Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Saga of Fishback the Cat - Chapter 9



As the sun sank, Fishback the (former) Cat came across a large gate. Just as he moved to pass through, a fire flared to life, illuminating a woman who stepped slowly out from the shadows. With a twist of her lithe body, the flames danced around her, creating a mesmerizing wall of swirling fire. Though she said nothing, Fishback knew she guarded the gate and that if he wanted to proceed, he would have to get past her or else abandon his quest to better understand and thus better rule mankind.

He tried slipping by the side, but her frame flowed quickly to block his path, as though she were made of water. He tried another direction, but as effortlessly as grass she swayed and the flames were before him. He ducked and she dipped, he jumped and she leapt, ever the epitome of the cat-like grace he had once possessed, the nimble limbs and lightning reflexes he had given up in his journey to better understand humans.

After half an hour trying to get past the fire dancer, he found himself forced to do something he had never done before. Admit someone else was better than him.

You act with such grace, I must assume you were once a cat, for no human can move as you do. Tell me, how did you come to this sad state?”

“I was never a cat,” said the guardian. “Rather, I spent many years dedicating myself to perfecting my body and my motions. It has been long, hard work, but it is worth it.

Poor humans, thought Fishback. They had to dedicate entire lifetimes to master simple movements that came naturally to him and his kind. He bowed, and praised her skill and determination once more, and for his humility she let him pass.

So this is what it meant to be human? To work hard all one's life, and still know that there were others better than you at most every task.


Originally mailed to L. Caljouw of Oud-Beijerland, the Netherlands

No comments:

Post a Comment