Each month, I buy a book of twenty stamps. I create twenty post cards. I write twenty short stories about them. I send them to twenty strangers. This is the twenty stamps project.

Request a postcard by sending your snail mail address to sean.arthur.cox@gmail.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SeanArthurCox

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Saga of Fishback the Cat - Chapter 3



If you wish to discover the means to make men do as you say, you must go on a quest,” said Boxtet, the god of boxes.

“A quest?” asked Fishback the Cat incredulously. “That sounds long and tiring.”

“And yet, quest you must.”

“But I'm so busy. My royal agenda is practically brimming with important appointments, appointments I can't reschedule. I have yarn batting, napping, lap sitting. Who will do these things while I am gone?”

“These tasks will wait for you to return.”

Fishback shuddered at the idea of a task left undone. He was a cat very serious about his leisure, and he very much hated to procrastinate such responsibilities.

“Can't I just make one of my humans quest for me?” he asked.

Rather than reply, Boxtet simply stared at Fishback until the cat realized the foolishness of his question.
“Well, then I simply won't do it,” said Fishback.
As you wish,” said Boxtet. “Then you are free to enjoy a life of being petted when the humans desire, of being moved off of laptops when they are warm, of being fed the meager portions the veterinarian claims is 'healthy.' Things will stay just as they are.”

Boxtet began to fade, and like the cat he is, Fishback was indifferent until the god was almost gone before deciding to commit.

“Very well,” said the cat casually, kneading at the pillow he lay on. “I guess I will do this quest, as I have nothing better to do.”


Originally mailed to K. Ballard of Owensborough, Kentucky

No comments:

Post a Comment